Tuesday, 25 October 2016
* * * * * * *
Adult Sunday School 8:45 am
Worship 10:00 am
Sunday School 10:30 am
* * * * * * *
Monday, 31 October 2016
5:00 to 7:00
Join us for
Free Soup and Sandwich
Fun and games for the kids
Open to the Public
* * * * * * *
OAK HARBOR FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
POSITION TITLE: WORSHIP AND MUSIC ARTS DIRECTOR
SUPERVISION: Pastor, Staff/Pastor-Parish Relations (SPPR) Team
POSITION SUMMARY: To develop and lead worship music ministry for FUMC, in
consultation with the senior pastor and other team members, in a way that is consistent
with the church’s mission, values, and theology.
• Oversee and support all music and worship activities including previewing,
planning and implementing musical offerings, including traditional and
contemporary styles of music.
• Recruit, prepare, teach and lead the chancel choir in weekly rehearsals and
Sunday morning services. This includes the selection of appropriate choral
pieces suited to the choir and to the liturgy/theme of the Sunday service and
leading congregational singing as needed. The choir meets and sings from
September to mid-June.
• Develop musical teams and ensembles for worship services.
• Recruit, prepare, teach and lead the Praise Ringers in weekly rehearsal and
preparation for Sunday morning services as scheduled.
• Provide music for additional services and concerts during seasons of Advent/
Christmas and Lent/Easter. Hire additional musicians as needed and as budget
• Direct outreach events into the community via performances at other venues as
• Attend staff and Church Council meetings and oversee music staff members.
• Maintain a strong prayer base for the music ministry.
• Prepare the music budget, be responsible and accountable to the church finance
committee for expenditures and account balances.
• Purchase and catalogue new music and equipment.
• Maintain the music library, keep a current inventory of musical instruments and
equipment and choir robes.
• Plan and implement special projects as assigned and coordinated by the pastor
or other church lay members such as a patriotic presentation for July 4th or other
presentations as required.
• Collaborate with the Director of Children & Youth Ministries for occasional music
for worship services during the year.
• Be available for consultation and/or participation in other events or services that
require music such as weddings, memorial services and outside concert groups
which have met the protocol required for use of the church facility.
• Suggest and coordinate annual attendance of workshops for the choir and hand
• Along with the organist/pianist, supervise maintenance of the organ, pianos,
soundboards and all other musical instruments and related equipment in the
• Arrange for special music during the summer months (mid-June to end of
August) and during any absences arrange for a substitute for rehearsals and
• Attend related training and/or conferences as available.
• Ability in a wide range of styles including Christian classics (hymns) and
contemporary Christian music.
• Ability to lead worship music and develop individuals and team worship music
• Professional level ability on piano, organ, and/or keyboard.
• Arranging, adapting, writing music as necessary to accommodate performer skill
• Experience with technical aspects of contemporary services, i.e., sound boards,
theatre lights, video editing, etc. is a plus.
• Demonstrated authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and
reflection of Christian values in daily life.
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with staff members and congregants.
• Ability to scout, recruit, organize, coordinate and motivate musicians and
technical team members.
• A Bachelor of Music in choral conducting, Voice, Music Education or other related
field is preferred or have musical skills and experience obtained from previous
• Demonstrated capability to conduct choirs and instrumental ensembles and bell
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, administrative and organizational skills to
foster development, deployment and growth of FUMC’s music arts ministries.
▪ Satisfactory completion of a background check and Safe Church dictated
• Be a caring, loving, nurturing individual with a sense of humor and pastor’s heart.
• This position requires a variety of movements from standing and directing to
sedentary positions at musical instruments.
• Physical effort will generally be setting up and/or tearing down choir risers and
other equipment and limited to lifting 25 pounds or less.
• Some maneuvering in small spaces, climbing stairs and narrow walkways is
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an
exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
Some responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined
in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.
A very warm welcome to all visiting Oak Harbor's First Church established 1891. A more detailed word of welcome can be found in the Info Center.
And a special WELCOME to those new or returning to NAS Whidbey Island!
Monday - Thursday
9:00 am to 3:00 pm
9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Financial Assistance is available
Mondays and Wednesday
from 1:00 to 3:00